Congratulations on becoming a student at Lancaster University!
By now you should have received your printed Student Guide which will help you to navigate your way around campus and will inform you of the tasks that you need to do within your first week at Lancaster University. In addition to your Student Guide, we have highlighted some key information below to make your transition into university life as easy as possible. We look forward to seeing you at arrivals weekend on the 1st and 2nd October 2011.
Before you arrive on campus there are some key documents that you will need to bring with you:
- A Passport or two of the following: Driving Licence, National Insurance Card, cheque book/bank documentation or a credit card. (NB International students must bring their passport in order to register with the University).
- Your completed financial assessment form that was sent to you from Student Finance, or a letter from your sponsor notifying you of your award. If you are funding yourself, you should bring evidence that you are able to pay your tuition fees and living expenses. Please don’t send this to the University before arrival unless you are classed as an overseas student for fees purposes.
- Your completed Pre-Registration Form: Please don’t send this to us before arrival either! Please refer to the separate instructions regarding pre-registration.
- If you are an overseas student and your visa states that you must register with the Police, then you should also bring a Police Registration Form (which is available from your College), a passport size photograph and £34 (cash), with you. If you are unable to attend any of these sessions you must ensure that you register with the Police at Lancaster Police Station within 7 days of arrival in the UK.
- Your NHS Medical Card or NHS number.
On Arrival – all students (undergraduate and postgraduate)
Register – in the Library Reading Room. Registration for undergraduate students is by college and by surname and takes place on either Sunday 2nd or Monday 3rd October, so make sure that you go along at the correct time. Details can be found in the UG Guide on page 41. Registration for postgraduates takes place on either Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th October, further details can be found in the PG Guide on pages 13 & 14. As well as registering with the University you will collect your library card, be given your computer username and be advised about fee payments and Student Loan practicalities.
Register with the Disability Support Service (if required) - Disability Support is part of Student Wellbeing Services which provide information and advice on a range of topics. Please visit the Disability Service web pages for further information.
- Choose your Part One Courses. In addition to registering for your degree programme you will also be required to attend Part One talks and then enrol for your preferred Part One courses (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday). See the UG Guide for details.
- Major Orientation – attend a talk by your major subject department on Friday, more information is available here.
- Postgraduate Research Students. Induction event for all new research students Tuesday 4th October (see page 13 of the PG Guide).