The Dulwich Picture Gallery, College Road, London, has long been linked to Dulwich College, founded in 1619 by Edward Alleyn (1566-1626). Alleyn was a friend of Shakespeare and a successful actor-manager, purchasing the manor of Dulwich in 1605. He started a charitable institution to combine almshouses and a school for poor boys and left many of his possessions to his foundation including his pictures. The collection expanded in 1686 when William Cartwright (1606-86) bequeathed his paintings. Noel Desenfans (1745-1807), a Frenchman and teacher of languages, left his picture collection to his life long friend Sir Francis Bourgeois RA (1756-1811) who subsequently left the collection to Dulwich College in 1810. The Picture Gallery (completed in 1813) was designed by Sir John Soane (1753-1837) and was one of the first purpose-built picture galleries in Britain. Further additions were made in the twentieth century and there was much rebuilding of bomb damage caused in 1944. The most important benefactor in the early twentieth century was Charles Fairfax Murray, a dealer in pictures and manuscripts and a copyist for Ruskin. Murray presented 46 paintings to the gallery mainly of English portraiture. (See also Ruskin and the Dulwich Gallery). Ruskin used an early system of numbers attached to the paintings in his identification of works in Modern Painters ( see 1892 Dulwich Catalogue).