Policy on the Use of Lasers
The purpose of this policy is to maintain and improve existing standards of health and safety in relation to work with laser equipment.
All health and safety risks associated with the use of laser equipment must be assessed. The policy describes how risk assessments should be carried out and organisational arrangements for implementation of the policy.
Duties and Responsibilities
University Laser Safety AdviserThe University Laser Safety Adviser (ULSA), in conjunction with the University Safety Office, will develop, monitor and review laser safety policy.
Competent advice is provided by the ULSA who will:
- give advice on the drawing up of departmental risk assessments for lasers and written procedures.
- keep a register of all lasers.
- monitor the implementation of laser safety controls.
- give advice on appropriate training for users.
The Safety OfficeThe Safety Office in conjunction with the ULSA will develop, monitor and review laser safety policy and will:
- keep a copy of the register of lasers maintained by the ULSA.
- monitor the implementation of this policy.
Head of Department
It is the responsibilty of the Head of Department:
- to ensure the safe operation of all lasers within their department.
- to ensure that sufficient information, instruction and training is provided.
- to ensure the implementation of all laser safety controls.
- University Policy on the Use of Lasers
- Laser Registration Form
- Laser User Registration Form
- Laser Risk Assessment Form
Last updated: date