Policy on Safety Requirements for Placement of Students with Employers
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that students on work placement with employers are afforded an equivalent standard of health and safety protection as is provided by the University.
Health and safety guidance is provided for:
- Placement Organisers on the initial approval of a placement with an employer, the need for review, and arrangements for feedback.
- Documents are provided to enable the Placement Organiser to determine whether the employer meets appropriate standards of health, safety and welfare.
- A Risk Profile tool is provided and assists Placement Organisers considering placements taking a risk based approach along with a risk assessment template
- Supporting guidance notes are provided for the use of the student on placement
- to ensure , so far as is reasonably practicable, that the employer provides an equivalent standard of health, safety and welfare as would be provided by the University.
- to provide an appropriate health and safety briefing to the placement student before the start of the placement.
- To review the work of the student with regard to the health and safety environment in which the work is being carried out. The latter to be effected by visits to the student’s place of work at an appropriate frequency.
- To take reasonable care for his/her safety whilst on placement, together with the safety of other persons who might be affected.
- To co-operate with the employer, to enable the employer to comply with health and safety requirements.