Lancaster University benefits from one of the most frequent campus - city centre services in the UK. There is a bus service to the city centre every 4 minutes during weekday term-time daytimes. Lancaster University is working closely in partnership with Stagecoach to deliver better bus services to the University. Thousands of students use the bus every day.
Staff bus use at the University has doubled since the Travel Plan was introduced in 2005. Over 19% of staff now commute to campus by bus. University staff can qualify for a free or heavily subsidised annual bus pass.
- Scheduled Coach Services from Lancaster University Underpass
- Bus Improvements for 2012/13
- Bus Timetables
- UniRider Bus Passes
- Free or Subsidised Bus Travel for University Staff
- Other Information on Bus Services
Megabus now operate excellent value daily scheduled coach services from the University underpass to destinations across the UK. Cities served direct from the underpass include Aberdeen, Bolton, Carlisle, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Leicester, London, Loughborough, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Perth, Rugby, Sheffield and Stirling. Prior booking is essential.
National Express continue to operate excellent value daily services from the underpass to Preston, Wigan, Birmingham, Milton Keynes, London, Carnforth, Kendal and destinations through Cumbria as far as Whitehaven. Prior booking is essential.
The Lancaster University / Stagecoach partnership is delivering the following bus service improvements for 2012/13:
- Continuation of subsidised staff bus travel at £0 p.a. (Grades 1 & 2) or £67 p.a. (Grades 3+).
- A refurbished underpass with new lift access, lighting, paving and bus information screens along with improvements to the stairwells and an enhanced waiting environment.
- Re-introduction of a trial northern perimeter road bus service using the X1 with a new bus stop on North Drive.
- Re-introduction of bus services along the southern perimeter road serving bus stops at InfoLab21 and Furness College, utilising services 3 and 4.
- Installation of a bus shelter at the Cartmel West Avenue bus stop on Alexandra Park Drive.
- Introduction of brand new double-decker buses on routes 2, 2A and 42 with free on-board wi-fi and the latest environmental technologies to lower carbon emissions.
- University advertising on the back of two of new double-decker buses.
For further information on the service improvements please see the Stagecoach website. The new timetables will be available in mid August on the Stagecoach website here. Paper copies will in due course be made available at the travel information stands in the Library, LUSU and the LICA Building.
- X1 University - Railway Station - Marsh - St Georges Quay
- 2, 2A, X2 University - Lancaster - Morecambe - Heysham
- 3, 3A X3 University - Lancaster - Morecambe - Heysham
- 40 & 41 University Gates - Preston (plus some off peak services via Alexandra Park)
- 42 University Underpass - Blackpool via Garstang
- 12 University - Lancaster - ByPass - Heysham - Morecambe
Paper copies of these and other bus timetables are available from the reception areas in the Library, Students Union and the LICA building.
The Lancaster UniRider is a bus ticket, which is only available for students and staff attending Lancaster University and University of Cumbria (Lancaster Campus). It offers unlimited bus travel on all Stagecoach services in the Lancaster area. Students can apply for the Unirider bus pass from the main LUSU Reception with a Purple Card discount.
A Unirider South ticket is also available for subsidised staff uniriders, which is valid along the A6 bus corridor between Catterall, Garstang and Lancaster University.
University staff can apply for an annual Staff Unirider or annual Staff Unirider South ticket through Flexible Benefits with massive discounts! This must be done through annual enrolment for existing University staff.
- Staff on Grades 1-2 - FREE
- Staff on Grade 3+ - £67
Please note: staff can not have a parking permit and a free or subsidised bus pass in the same year.
For more information on the Flexible Benefits Scheme click here.
Feedback on Bus Services
In the first instance please contact the bus company or the Facilities Helpdesk on 93333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Buses to the Lake District
555 to the Lake District - this service departs from Lancaster Bus Station.
Long Distance Coach Services
National Express Service 570 to London, Birmingham, Whitehaven and the Lake District
Information for Coach Drivers
Click here to view a PDF document about coach drop-off and pick-up areas.