Car Parking Policy October 2012 - September 2013
In 2010 we made some major changes to the parking policy on campus to improve the quality and value for money of alternatives to single-occupancy car travel in line with the University's new Travel Plan objectives.
You can view the parking options and prices in the menu below.
Car Parking Policy Documents
- Parking Policy Oct 2012 - Sept 2013
- Student Parking Policy Oct 2012 - Sept 2013
- Car Parking Prices Oct 2012 - Sept 2013
- Flexible Benefits: Travel Frequently Asked Questions
- Campus Map of Parking Zones
- Vehicle Regulations
- Advice on Foreign Licences/Vehicles
More Information on this Page
- Visitor Parking Zones
- Student Parking Permit
- Termly Parking Permits
- Staff Car Share Permit
- Contractor Parking Policy
- Parking for Astroturf and Tennis Courts
- Urban Core Area (permit eligibility restricted for students)
- Report a Fault (road surfaces, lighting, drainage...)
These zones are available to University visitors with a valid one-day green visitor scratch-card or pay & display sticker or staff holding a valid Car Sharing Permit. They are also available for the University's fleet of vehicles and hired cars for University business. Visitors must not park in staff or student zones. Staff and student permit holders must not park in visitor zones. All ticket machines dispense tickets for 2 hours at £2 or £5 for a full day (see below for exceptions). Chip and pin card payment facilities are available at most machines. All day visitor scratch cards are available from the Cashiers Desk in University House between 9.00am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and are priced at £5 each.Click here to view a map of the zones. Students are no longer permitted to buy one-day scratchcards.
Further travel information and maps for visitors click here.
For Car Parking arrangements at the Sports Centre, click here.
Pay & display machines are located as follows:
- Visitor Car Park A - Bowland Avenue / North West Drive
- Visitor Car Park C - John Creed Avenue
- Visitor Car Park D - George Fox Avenue
- Visitor Car Park E - opposite ISS Building
- Visitor Car Park F - outside Infolab21
- Visitor Car Park G - Grizedale Avenue
- Visitor Car Park H - Gillow Avenue
- Visitor Car Park I - Farrer Avenue
- Visitor Car Park J - Alexandra Park Visitor (cheaper rate of £3 per day as this is on the edge of campus)
- Visitor Car Park K - Sports Field Car Park (up to 2 hours free with ticket, £1 per hour beyond 2hrs)
- Visitor Car Park L - Sports Centre (sports use only, see separate policy)
- Bigforth Barn - cash only payments
Note: There is no payment machine at Visitor Car Park B, located off North East Drive. The nearest machine is located in Visitor Car Park C, John Creed Avenue.
The number of car parking spaces that can be provided by the University on its campus are limited according to the Parking Standards that are set out in the Joint Lancashire Structure Plan (JLSP). Therefore, making room for additional car parking areas is not an option for the University. This would also be contrary to the University's Travel Plan in encouraging people to make use of other means of transport, where possible. The University therefore restricts parking permit eligibility for students in an effort to help manage demand for car parking on its campus. The University tries to ensure that those with the greatest need for having a car on campus are eligible for a permit.
Students are not normally allowed car parking permits to park on campus. Please check the rules in the new Student Parking Policy to see if you may be eligible.
If you consider that from the Student Parking Policy you are eligible, please submit your evidence to the Car Parking Office in the Security Lodge or to Student Based Services (depending on which criteria you are applying under) from mid-July 2012. For categories 1-4 only please complete the Request for Eligibilty Confirmation form.
You will need to wait until two days after registering for access to the University's computer system before you can buy a permit on-line.
Staff and eligible students can purchase Termly Permits direct from the Car Parking Office in the Security Lodge at any time of the year. These are not purchased through Flexible Benefits.
They are as follows:
- Staff Zone Termly Permit £59
- Student Zone (Alexandra Park) Termly Permit £45 (Students must be eligible for a permit under the Student Car Parking Policy - see above except during summer vacation).
The Autumn Term permit includes the Christmas Vacation period. The Spring Term permit includes the Easter Vacation period. There is a separate permit for the Summer Vacation, priced as above.
The price of the Staff Car Share Permit is significantly cheaper than the standard staff permit to encourage car sharing! Click here to visit the car sharing webpage.
Different arrangements apply to contractor parking. Click here to view the policy.
Users of the Astroturf pitches or the tennis courts at the University, which are accessed off Green Lane, should park on the sports field car park opposite or the University campus (accessed up the main University vehicle entrance on the A6) and walk down to the facility. Parking is free after 18:00 and at weekends but is pay and display at other times. Please do not park on Green Lane as this road has double yellow lines along its lengths and is being regularly enforced.
The urban core area refers to the central urban area of Lancaster and Morecambe including campus, which is within a 10 minute walk of a bus stop with a regular and direct service to the University. Students living in this area during term time are not normally allowed a campus car parking permit.