Lancaster University has a new Travel Plan (2nd Edition, 2010-2015). The Travel Plan provides the overarching strategic direction for transport and commuting at Lancaster University against the following key objectives:
- Reduce dependence on travel by car, by encouraging greater use of car-sharing, public transport, walking and cycling
- Lead to energy savings, less traffic pollution, and less congestion
- Reduce parking pressure
- Enhance public perceptions of the University and all who work there
- Contribute to the health of all who work or use the site
- Ensure the site is economically and environmentally sustainable.
A key delivery mechanism of the Travel Plan in pursuit of the above objectives and targets for reducing the proportion of staff and students commuting alone by car is the annual Car Parking Policy.
The Action Plans in the Travel Plan, give details of the specific measures the University intends to implement in order to make alternatives to driving more attractive.
Monitoring and Review
The Travel Plan undergoes a full review every three years and staff and student travel surveys are conducted every three years as part of the review process to monitor the progress the University is making towards its travel targets and to gain valuable feedback and ideas from Staff and Students.