Summary: The eChina Phase 2 project on intercultural professional development for e-learning involves three UK Universities: Lancaster University, the lead University, with consultancy expertise from the University of Sheffield and the Open University, and four Chinese universities in a Sino-UK collaboration. In the UK, the project is funded by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), and is one of several current projects in this programme.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AIMS The project has three main aims:
- The collaborative production of an intercultural, professional development e-learning and teaching course , to be run online and offered to higher education staff in the UK and China. This will involve the examination of intercultural (Sino-UK) conceptions of e-learning
- The collaborative (UK-China) development of a new tool for supporting formative assessment and knowledge extraction in online group learning settings.
- The development of a framework/model for planning and running intercultural professional development in e-learning.
PROJECT OUTCOMES AND DELIVERABLES
- Collaborative Sino-UK development of an intercultural, professional development course in e-learning and teaching.
- A report on the evaluation of the e-learning course aimed at informing both UK and Chinese higher education personnel, drawing out policy and practice implications
- An evaluation of the tool for supporting collaborative e-learning, with particular attention given to the potential use of the tool in the UK higher education sector
- A framework/model for planning and running intercultural professional development in the Chinese and UK higher education e-learning contexts.
- A series of workshops in China and the UK aimed at disseminating policy, practice and research findings to the higher education communities.
- A series of dissemination papers on the various outcomes of our collaborative work to be presented at international conferences, published in journals etc.
- A report on intercultural conceptions of e-learning and teaching.