The university runs several programmes, delivered internally, aimed at researchers to help you to identify and develop your skills whether you are intending to pursue an academic or non-academic career. These are particularly useful for anyone approaching the last 12 months of an employment contract, although people at all stages of their career are encouraged to engage with the programme.
How to access One-to-One Careers Advice and Guidance
All Researchers employed by the University have access to one-to-one support around careers planning, advice and guidance, in addition to our own workshops and the support offered by the UK organisation supporting doctoral students and researchers, Vitae. If you would like to talk through your career options (including changing your career direction), review your CV, or discuss job-seeking strategies you can book a one-to-one confidential appointment with our careers consultant by contacting OED (or ring 94501/92137) outlining in brief:
- The kind of support you are looking for;
- When you would ideally like the meeting to take place (i.e. drawing attention to any applicable ‘deadlines’ such as impending interviews etc);
- And providing a range of dates for which you are free to have the conversation.
Our careers consultant is Sarah Blackford, a professionally qualified higher education careers adviser and coach. With a background in research and over 10 years’ experience of providing career development support for postgraduates and postdoctoral researchers, Sarah offers specialised career guidance as well as practical advice on CVs, applications and interview technique.
- One-to-one career interviews are limited so please plan ahead and make contact as early as possible.
- There is a cost (borne by the University) associated with this careers advice & guidance. Please honour commitments entered into to ensure that each Researcher continues to get access to this provision. Researchers who make appointments but fail to attend will be given lower priority for subsequent requests.
- The careers adviser is based at Bailrigg House. Instructions on the location will be sent with confirmation of any meeting(s).