- We will seek to employ people from all age groups in society, including those who have just completed their education and those in their later years.
- We will continue to work against discrimination, harassment or victimisation on grounds of age. There will be rare occasions when we treat staff or students differently according to age. This will occur only if we believe that this is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.
- We will continue to offer opportunities to staff to request to work beyond the normal retirement age. The Equal Opportunities Committee will continue to monitor this system.
- We will ensure that relevant safeguarding procedures are in operation for work that involves younger people.
- We will gather mature studentsí views and seek to ensure that they receive good academic support that aims to minimise feelings of isolation.
Policies and procedures
- Age Equality Policy
- Age Equality toolkit this is currently under review to reflect Equality Act 2010 Legislation
Actions and AchievementsFor further information about actions impacting on equality relating to age see Single Equality Action Plan
From April 2011 the Government is phasing out the default retirement age. Read more at the Business Link Employing older workers site
An Equality & Human Rights Commission project exploring a world without prejudice Young Brits at Art