What we Need from the Department / Need the Department to do:
1. early notification of recruitment and completion of "request to appoint" so that appropriate advice can be given
2. identify "vacancy owner" and "admin assistant" to be responsible and available for contact throughout the process
3. contact Vice-Chancellor's Office (Michelle Needham ext. 92001) to ascertain possible interview dates from the Vice-Chancellor's diary
4. obtain the Dean's and then the Vice Chancellor's approval of the Interview Panel members - for guidance on composition of the Panel see here NB: Angela Pearson, can provide advice on lay members of Council, where this is appropriate.
5. following approval, contact Panel Members to ascertain availability to enable decision on interview date
6. agree with HR, in advance of advertising, a timetable for the process i.e. advertisement date, closing date and interview date
7. advise HR of the constitution of the Interview Panel if this has changed from the details entered on the "Request to Appoint"
8. obtain Dean's approval of the text of advert, job description, person specification and further details
9. provide a final electronic version of the draft advertisement at least 10 days before proposed publication date
10. provide (final) electronic versions of the job description, person specification and further particulars of the post at least 3 days before the proposed insertion date
11. collate applications from the e-Recruitment system discussing any issues with your HR Assistant on the day following the closing date. NB. applications received direct by the Department should be sent to HR for logging onto the e-Recruitment system.
12. write to all the Panel members (excluding the Council representative) sending copies of all application forms, further details (Job description/person spec etc) advising a date for shortlisting meeting and/or date by which views on shortlist are to be received.
13. shortlist candidates for interview in accordance with criteria set out in the Recruitment and Selection guidance notes and the criteria on the person specification.
14. the shortlist should be agreed by the Dean and the Vice-Chancellor.
15. once approved, send copies of shortlisted applications, further details (Job description/person spec etc) to Council member.
16. enter the interview details into the e-Recruitment system
17. ensure at least 14 days between the shortlist being received in HR and the interview date
18. advise HR/applicants of any unavoidable delays
19. arrange accommodation for externals (if required)
20. arrange the venue for presentations and interviews and write to all the Panel members advising details of selection process/schedule.
21. if presentations are to be undertaken then the VC/Externals/Council member are usually given the option to attend if convenient to them (they usually opt to be involved with the interviews only). All other Panel members should be invited to attend the presentations.
22. ensure that the Chair of the Interview Panel on the day following the interview, completes and submits the Action Following Interview form.
23. wherever possible, contact unsuccessful interviewees by telephone within two days of interview
24. retain all applications and interview notes for six months following interview date
1. advise on policy and procedures to be followed
2. advise on choice of media and associated timescales
3. advise on format of job description and person specification
4. review and amend draft advertisement for legality, economy and adherence to 'house style'
5. ensure 'proof' of advertisement and cost are approved by recruiter
6. liaise with Advertising Agency to place advertisement in next available issue
7. upload description, person specification and any further particulars of the post on the HR web site
8. advertise all posts internally on the HR web site
9. place advertisement on other electronic media i.e. JOBS.AC.UK, as requested
10. on notification from the recruiter, invite candidates for interview (including arranging overnight accommodation) within 3 working days of request
11. provide all members of the interview panel with "panel packs"
12. request references and provide the vacancy owner with copies prior to interview
13. write, if required, to candidates who are unsuccessful at interview within 3 working days of receipt of Action Following Interview Form
14. process claims for reimbursement of travel expenses within 7 days of receipt
15. store applications for 6 months following interview