Proposed transfers to indefinite contracts require objective justification to show that a further fixed-term contract is no longer appropriate. A positive case to transfer to indefinite status should be made using the pro-forma and criteria in Appendices 1 and 2 below. Each case will be dealt with on its merits.
The appropriate Faculty Review Group will initially consider all cases for transfer to indefinite contract. In the case of academic and academic-related staff, cases for transfer supported by the Faculty Review Group will be referred to the Budget Review Group for final decision.
Cases must be presented to the Faculty Review Group well in advance of the end date of the current fixed-term contract. In exceptional circumstances the Dean may refer the case to the members of the Review Group for immediate consideration.
Cases for transfer can be presented at any time during the period of a fixed-term contract.
Members of staff will be consulted before a case is made and invited to provide written comments to the Review Group in support of it.
3. Procedure and guidelines
3.1 Heads of Department will:
- make the case to the Faculty Review Group via the Dean and HR Department using the pro-forma provided (Appendix 1)
- reference the case being made to the criteria for decision (Appendix 2)
- confirm that the member of staff has been consulted about the nature and content of the case and made aware that they can forward their own written comments in support of it to the Review Group
- copy the case to the member of staff concerned.
3.2 The member of staff will:
forward written comments to the Faculty Review Group in support of their case.
3.3 The Faculty Review Group will:
- consider the case on its merits
- confirm its decision in writing to the Head of Department and the member of staff
- recommend cases for transfer to the Budget Review Group.
3.4 The Budget Review Group will:
- Make a final decision on behalf of the University.
- Advise the Dean of the outcome, who in turn will advise the member of staff.