All staff are entitled to a Microsoft Exchange email account.
Exchange 2010 provides the following features:
- a large mailbox - 2Gb
- integrated calendaring
- access to University address lists.
- access to your email from a range of mobile devices.
- Outlook 2007\2010 - Exchange Microsoft Office Suite installed at home.
- Outlook Web Access Client - A fully featured client, compatible with the vast majority of web-browsers, on all operating systems.
- Outlook 2011 or Mac Mail - If you use an Apple Macintosh computer (Mac Mail on Leopard OS, or earlier can only access email in a limited fashion).
- Outlook 2011 or Mac Mail via a VPN; If you use a Macintosh machine (Mac Mail on Leopard OS or earlier can only access email in a limited fashion).
- Windows Mail (Windows Vista) - access to email on Exchange (but no other features).
- Mozilla Thunderbird - free 'open source' - has anti-Spam feature and provides access to email on Exchange (but no other features).
- Windows v6/7 Mobile Devices - mobile phones and PDAs running Windows v6 or v7 can access the full Exchange service via Push Email (ActiveSync).
- Android devices – mobile phones and tablets with the Android operating system can access the full Exchange service via Push Email (ActiveSync).
- 3G iPhone / iPad - 3G iPhones and iPads (and the first iPhone with extra software) can access the full Exchange service via Push Email (ActiveSync).
- Nokia devices with the Mail for Exchange application, and 3G data services.
- Blackberry devices – mobile phones from RIM have access to email on Exchange (but no other features).
- Terms & Conditions for the use of staff & postgraduate email
- Guidance on the use of email
- Using mailing lists
- Managing Spam (unsolicited email)
- Deleting & Recovering messages
Staff can access their Exchange* email using the following systems:
Further advice and guidance is available at the following links:
Note 1 - 'Public Folders' (which contain, among other things, the 'Small Ads' folder), calendaring, and contacts are not available in IMAP clients such as: Mac Mail, Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird, but can be accessed on the move via Outlook Web Access.
Note 2 - Staff and Postgraduate email is provided by a cluster of Microsoft Exchange 2010 servers, collectively known as exchange or exchange.lancs.ac.uk. Undergraduate email is provided by Microsoft's Live@edu - see here for more information.