Today's date: 19/06/13 - All systems running without problems.
This page provides information on current IT events affecting the University during recent weeks. For daily news, see the Message of the Day (MOTD). Older news is available in the News Archive. See also the regular ISS Newsletters.
27 Sep - Network At Risk - Management School
During the Network at Risk period of the 27th of September ISS will replace a faulty router line card, this will result in a 15-20 minute outage for some users in the old section of the Management School. Work will begin at 0730 and will be completed by 0800.
Check your 'Junk E-mail' Folder before deleting contents
ISS has Spam filters in place to detect Spam email messages, and to move these into your 'Junk E-mail' folder.
However, alongside this the Microsoft Outlook 'Junk E-mail' feature sometimes wrongly identifies other email messages as Spam. For example, if you receive a lot of messages from one email address, the 'Junk E-mail' filter may assume that you are being 'Spammed' and will send future messages to the 'Junk E-mail' folder.
Please ensure that you check your 'Junk E-mail' folder before deleting its contents, in case legitimate emails have been directed there.
You have the control to enable/disable the 'Junk E-mail' feature in your University Microsoft Outlook account, and to alter the filtering levels.
Message of the Day (MOTD)
Systems and Network Availability
The 'at risk' periods are:
- Tuesdays 07:00 - 09:00 are 'Network at Risk' for Joint Academic Network (JANET) including Internet access.
- Tuesdays 07:00 - 10:00 are 'Network at Risk' for the University campus network.
- Wednesdays 13:00 - 18:00 are 'Systems at Risk' where any University central servers could be taken down for maintenance.
- Computer Viruses - New computer viruses are appearing all the time. For the latest information see: Threat Watch.
- All staff should run Windows Update to keep their systems up-to-date thus reducing the risk of virus attack. If you are using a 'Managed XP PC', your PC will be updated automatically by ISS.