Staff can connect to the Lancaster University Local Area Network (LAN) from home and other remote locations using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Lancaster University VPN
Using VPN, you can securely connect to:
- external, campus and 'campus only' web pages.
- Sharepoint sites.
- Exchange email using Outlook 2007
- H: Drive and 'Depts' network filestore
- network printers
Note - you can access all off-campus Internet services that can pass through the University web-cache e.g. WWW pages and web-based email such as Gmail. You can NOT access off-campus services that can not pass through the web-cache e.g. ISP POP email services.
University VPN Policy
University VPN Policy - as with a direct connection 'on campus', all VPN activity is monitored by ISS to comply with our service provider. Follow the 'University VPN Policy' link.
The Internet is a dangerous place please Protect Yourself.
- Windows 7 - Windows 7 instructions.
- Windows Vista (Home Premium) - Windows Vista instructions.
- Windows XP Home Edition & Professional - Windows XP instructions.
- Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard - basic VPN instructions.
- Older Systems/Unlisted Systems/Technical Details - for use with un-listed operating systems.
Troubleshooting - list of Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers).
Testing An Existing VPN Connection
- VPN Test - click on 'VPN Test' to test your VPN connection. This page is only visible to people connecting to the University network using VPN.