Students can connect to the Lancaster University Local Area Network (LAN) from ResNet, OffCampus Accomodation and other remote locations using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Secure Remote Access using VPN
Using VPN, you can securely connect to:
- external, campus and 'campus only' web pages.
- H: Drive and 'Depts' network filestore
- network printers
Note - you can access all off-campus Internet services that can pass through the University web-cache e.g. WWW pages and web-based email such as Gmail. You can NOT access off-campus services that can not pass through the web-cache e.g. ISP POP email services.
University VPN Policy
As with a direct connection 'on campus', all VPN activity is monitored by ISS to comply with our service provider. All users of VPN must comply with University VPN Policy.
The Internet is a dangerous place please Protect Yourself.
- Windows 7 - Windows Vista instructions.
- Windows Vista (Home Premium) - Windows Vista instructions.
- Windows XP Home Edition & Professional - Windows XP instructions.
- Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard - basic VPN instructions.
- Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger (PDF) - a PDF of VPN instructions for Tiger.
- Older Systems/Unlisted Systems/Technical Details - for use with un-listed operating systems.
Troubleshooting - list of Frequently Asked Questions (and Answers).
Testing An Existing VPN Connection
- VPN Test - click on 'VPN Test' to test your VPN connection. This page is only visible to people connecting to the University network using VPN.