The term 'media' does not just relate to electronic formats, it covers printed material, optical media such as CDROMs, DVDs and Blu-Ray, backup tapes and audio tapes, USB pen drives, digital storage cards and hard disk drives too. Clearly, different types of media material require different methods of disposal.
- There are many forms of media, some less obvious.
- Deleting files or formatting hard drives is not sufficient.
- The risks of getting it wrong include:
- Damage to reputation, personal and University
- Breach of contractual agreements
- Breach of regulatory legislation
- There are differing methods of disposal, depending on what material is to be disposed of.
- Remember, if you are unsure, contact the ISS Service Desk.
Please note ISS do not currently dispose of media for either individuals or departments.
Back to the Security Guidance page.