Searching for Viruses and Trojans
If you think you have got a virus or Trojan, you can search for it in various ways.
Symantec Endpoint Protection
The most effective way of searching for a virus with Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is:
- ensure SEP is up-to-date with the latest virus definitions.
- inhibit Windows 'restore' feature.
- reboot in 'Safe Mode' (press F8 just after the bleep).
- run a full scan of your hard disk with SEP.
If any element of that fails it could be because a virus has attacked SAV. You can run an 'independent scan' by running an online scan (see below).
Online Virus Scanners
This page contains links to online scanning programs that can identity viruses, and in many cases disinfect the viruses.
Introduction to Online Scanning Services
The online scanners (listed below) have the advantage that they have not been exposed to virus attack and therefore should work while a virus is active on the PC. However they should not be regarded as a replacement for 'installed' anti-virus packages because they do not provide 'guard' facilities.
List of Online Scanning Services
- Symantec - detects viruses - which you can the disinfect using Symantec's online manual instructions - well tested.
- Trend 'HouseCall' - detects and disinfects viruses.