Currently viruses, Trojans and downloads try to do one or more of the following:
- download a 'Spam Relay' to send Spam through your PC to the world (in your name).
- download a Trojan to take control of your PC to steal your identity.
- download a Trojan to that downloads Spyware/Adware to bombard you with adverts.
- download a Trojan to launch attacks on other PCs.
Viruses, Trojans and drive-by downloads make money for criminals.
Common Methods Of Attack
Most attacks arrive in the email. a message arrives:
- asking you to open an attachment - the attachment is a Trojan.
- containing links to infected websites, which may download a Trojan.
- asking you to send your username and password away to IT service site.
- do not open suspicious email.
- do not open suspicious attachments.
- keep your system up-to-date with patches and service packs.
- run Anti-Virus software.
Virus Alert Sites - various virus lists and virus encyclopedias can be found on the net.