Generally networks and machines run 24 hours a day, however, there are certain times that are set aside for maintenance. During such times, these systems may be unavailable.
ISS endeavours to keep such times to a minimum and provides as much advance warning as is possible. Such warnings are displayed on Message of the Day motd (on Unix when you first login, in the PC labs as an icon, or downloadable to a networked PC (including home PCs)).
Services 'At Risk' periods:
- Networks - Tuesdays 7am - 10am
This is a national systems time for networks and is used locally for campus network maintenance. For a list of outages see ISS News.
- Other central machines - Wednesdays 1pm - 6pm
Systems time for other machines may be taken to upgrade either hardware or software
- PC Labs - Wednesdays 1pm - 6pm . Occasionally it may be necessary to close one of the general access ISS labs for lab maintnenance, but ISS will try to avoid this during term time.
- Library system, CD-ROMS and WWW servers - whilst every effort is
made to minimise actual downtimes, the Library systems will be at risk at
the following times:
- Wednesdays between 8am - 9:30am for software and hardware maintenance.
- Daily between 8am - 8:45am for any required systems administration.