Terms and conditions of the Live@edu service at Lancaster
The Terms and Conditions of the Live@edu email service listed here form part of the Computer User Agreement (CUA), Appendix C in the Rules of the University. As a member of the University you have agreed to these rules, and by doing so, have thereby agreed to these terms and conditions. Should any conflict occur between any of these agreements, the most restrictive conditions will apply.
For additional help and advice on making the best use of the Live@edu service please see the Live@edu FAQs.
Suspension/Termination of Email Accounts:
Your account may be suspended or terminated if you use it to:
- break the law;
- send unsolicited messages (“Spam”) - this may also happen if your account has been compromised through you accidentally responding to a phishing email;
- let anyone else use your Live@edu account;
- breach University rules;
- damage, or attempt to damage the Live@edu service in any way;
Accessing from Mobile Devices and LiveID Passwords:
If you are using a separate LiveID account (for example, if you wish to access your email from a mobile device) you must not use the same password you use for your Lancaster University username.
Access to email:
The content of your emails are not monitored by ISS or by Microsoft. In very exceptional circumstances (such as for legal purposes) a request may be made to ISS to provide access to your email in your absence.
Use of Personal Information & the Collection of Service Data:
- ISS monitor some aspects of the email service in order to be able to maintain the quality and security of the service delivered. Such monitoring reports on the service as a whole and would only focus on individual use if irregular activity was highlighted and considered to be in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Microsoft may collect information about the way in which people use the Live@edu service, such as which browsers are used, response rates etc. Microsoft will not share this information with any other party and will only use it to develop, support and improve the Live@edu Service.
- The content of your emails are not monitored by Microsoft. Microsoft will only disclose personal information or the content of your emails in order to a) comply with the law b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft c) protect the personal safety of an individual.
- All personal information collected through the Live@edu service is stored and processed within the EU. In cases where personal information is required to travel outside the EU it will be covered by EU legislation.
- Live@edu email addresses will be published in address lists which are accessible by users of University services.
Use of Additional Services from Microsoft (Skydrive, SharePoint or Office 365):