This page offers general support for Microsoft Windows. To access to various fixes, tips and helpful programs - click on a topic below or on the left for more information.Site Licence Current Versions
Over summer 2010, ISS moved the PC Labs used by students to a version of the new Supported Windows 7 Build. The timetable for upgrade to Windows 7 for individual staff machines is determined by individual departments and their local IT support team.
ISS support for non-managed PCs running Windows 7 and Windows Vista systems is as follows:
- ISS provides full support for the 'Supported Windows 7' build.
- ISS provides support for Windows Vista (although it is not deployed on ISS owned or operated hardware).
- ISS provides full support for the 'Managed Windows XP' build.
- ISS does NOT support any other versions of Windows attached to the campus network.
- Supported Windows 7 PC - deployment schedule.
- Managed Windows XP PC - the current recommended build.
- List of Standard and Installable Software - on Managed Win XP and Supported Win 7 PCs.
- Microsoft Office 2007 - is the current version on Managed XP. Supported Win 7 PCs.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer - the current version is Internet Explorer 9.
- Update Windows - a page where you should ensure your Windows installations are up-to-date.
- Changing Windows Passwords - a page to help you change your password.
If experience problems e.g. logging on, please contact:
- ISS Service Desk - on x10987.
At Lancaster University we have an agreement whereby:
- staff may upgrade an existing copy of Windows Workstation (Win 95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista) to a higher copy of Windows Workstation free of charge.
- NOT covered by the agreement are:
- Windows server.
- PCs that do not have a licenced copy of Windows on at all.
Which version of Windows you run depends on the capabilities of your PC:
ISS recommends Windows 7 and specifically the Windows 7 Managed System for most systems.
A rough guide to the power of a computer required to run the different versions of Windows:
|Processor Speed||Windows Version|
|New PC Specification Page||Windows 7|
|500 Mhz and above||Windows XP professional|
Legacy Systems - ISS requests that you do not run Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP home, Windows Vista, Windows NT or Windows 2000.