Microsoft Internet Explorer is Microsoft's web browser. Although other web browsers are available Internet Explorer is required for eading some pages. ISS make the latest version available as soon as it has been satifactually tested. The current version is v8.
When Internet Explorer installs it presents you with a 'Customize Your Settings' screen. We recommend that you:
- 'Keep your current search provider' - though you could change.
- turn on the automatic Phishing Filter.
- use ClearType.
- use the English (United Kingdom) setting - unless you need otherwise. Participating in the 'Customer Experience' is optional.
After you have made your choices, click on the 'save Settings' button and proceed. You will be offered a 'Quick Tour' of the new features of Internet Explorer. It is short, useful and recommended.back to top
Recent changes to the appearance are that the File Edit View Favourites Tools Help bar has been removed and its functions have been distributed to various buttons.
There are two new toolbars, the top Toolbar contains:
- the '<- Back' and 'Forward ->' browsing buttons.
- the web-site address box.
- the 'refresh page' button, and 'stop page loading' button.
- the search box.
The second toolbar contains:
- 'Favourites' and 'Add to Favourites' buttons.
- the webpage name(s) in 'tabs'.
- the 'Home' button.
- the 'Print', 'Page' & 'Tools' menu icons.
The main items from the old 'File', 'View' and 'Tools' menu have been distributed between the new 'Print', 'Page' & 'Tools' menus:
- the new 'Print' menu is self-explanatory.
- the new 'Page' menu includes the 'Cut, Copy & Paste', 'Save' and 'Zoom' options.
- the new 'Tools' menu includes 'Windows Update', 'Pop-up Blocker', the *new* 'Phishing Blocker' and 'Internet Options' options.