Environment leads the international research agenda across our disciplinary spectrum and through interdisciplinary initiatives to support a sustainable future for our planet and its peoples.
The Lancaster Environment Centre assembles and optimises cross-disciplinary research teams to address 21st century environmental challenges, specifically those related to environmental change, the sustainable use of natural resources and the social challenges associated with sustainable development. We address the world’s most important environmental issues, with a strong commitment to research excellence, inter-disciplinarity and genuine and long-lasting international partnerships. Partnerships are facilitated by our dedicated Enterprise and Business Partnerships team.
Collaborative Research and Consultancy
The Lancaster Environment Centre forms one of the largest concentrations of environmental researchers in Europe. 450 staff and postgraduate researchers work across a broad range of inter-disciplinary research areas:
- Atmospheric science
- Biodiversity and global change
- Chemicals management
- Environmental geosciences
- food and agriculture
- Society and environment
- Sustainable energy
- Water management
- Extensive, state-of-the-art research laboratories
- 15 glasshouses
- 10 walk-in controlled environment rooms
- High-grade containment facilities for research with genetically modified organisms and radionuclides
- Environmental data sets for analysis
- Bespoke business incubation facilities
Benefits of Collaboration
We evaluate the needs of each business and match these to the appropriate student resource across Science and Technology. We place around 80 students a year in 60 companies.
- Access world leading knowledge and technologies
- Access our multi-million pound facilities
- Gain extra resources through student projects and placements
- Tap into our networks and collaborate
- Work with us to develop new innovative products and processes
- Take advantage of our global reach and form international partnerships
Working in Partnership
We are committed to a partnership approach and have developed strategic relationships with the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the UK Environment Agency, and a number of corporate partners including Waitrose and United Utilities.
Currently we have strong collaborations with major international companies such as Unilever and a range of medium sized research intensive companies within the UK and cross Europe. Our resident businesses range from research-led university spin-out companies to international environmental companies.
We also work as part of a wider multidisciplinary team across Science and technology at Lancaster and can link in with experts in Advanced Manufacturing, Energy, Health and Human Development, Information and Communication Technologies, Mathematics and Statistics, Quantum Technology and Security to complement our Environmental expertise.
- Co-location - we provide office space and hot-desk space for up to 38 environmental businesses
- Student Placements - LEC's Graduate Consultancy Scheme has been running for over 5 years and has placed in the region of 300 students in industrial settings. The scheme is designed to provide businesses with access to the skills and expertise of high calibre current university postgraduates and undergraduates
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and Training - we run challenge-led CPD courses in conjunction with business co-located in LEC, including Postgraduate Certificates in Competence in REACH Registration and Energy and Fuels from Waste
- Events, workshops and seminars for external organisations across different environmental issues
- Product development e.g. spin-out companies such as The REACH Centre and products including seed treatment to cut pesticide use
As Head of Enterprise and Business Partnerships in the Lancaster Environment Centre, my role is to lead a team of dedicated staff towards creating impact from working in partnership with business and other science and technology users.
The pooling of human resources in LEC creates a powerful UK and European centre for the complex science of environmental change, having major international impact and the ability to inform national and European policy making.
We recognise that sustainable management of our global resources requires multidisciplinary, solution-focussed academic expertise working through networks of partnerships that are able to facilitate the exchange of knowledge locally, nationally and globally. Embedding this multi-dimensional approach across our portfolio of activities has enormous potential to create positive environmental, social and economic benefits and impact. Please contact me for more information.