How to apply for Undergraduate Accommodation
Incoming Undergraduates for whom Lancaster is their first choice university - and who have firmly accepted an offer via UCAS - are guaranteed places in residence for their first year if they apply before 15th August in their year of entry.
We will endeavour to accommodate Insurance and Clearing students but are unable to guarantee this, though the Students' Union housing office is able to provide advice on accommodation off-campus.
Providing we receive applications by the relevant deadlines, we also guarantee accommodation for undergraduates returning to Lancaster after a placement year abroad or in industry, during their course.
If we don't receive your application by the relevant deadline we will assume that you are making your own arrangements off campus.
The Application Process
- When our application site opens around the start of June, we will contact all students that have accepted a place on a course and invite them to create an accommodation account. Each week through the summer we will email all students that have not yet applied. We will use the email address that you have registered with UCAS to contact you, so please use one to which you have long term access.
- We don't allocate any rooms until after the A-Level results are published and your attendance at Lancaster is confirmed. Please bear in mind that if you apply early in the process there will be a long gap between communications.
- We endeavour to place every student in one of the two colleges they are asked to choose when they apply, though this is not always possible; we also take into account the type of accommodation you are applying for in deciding which is best for you. Although we ask for your preferences you should be prepared to accept some concessions if we are unable to meet all of your criteria. Please notify us of any special circumstances regarding disabilities, medical conditions and allergies when you apply. Information about our adapted rooms.
- We will send room offers by email from late August onwards, and invite you to view the details of this via the accommodation portal. Please read the details and the terms and conditions carefully. You will have seven days to accept the offer. NB later offers will have a shorter deadline for acceptance, though this is always stated in our email. If we don't hear from you, we will be unable to hold the room for you.
- At the point of acceptance you will be asked to pay a £200 deposit with a credit card via our secure website, in order to accept the offer. This is fully refundable at the end of the tenancy providing the accommodation is left as you found it, and that no deductions have been made during the year. Financial regulations mean that we can only refund deposits to the person that made the original payment.
- The contract you accept is legally binding, and sets down the conditions of the agreement between yourself and the University. You cannot be released from it, and will be obliged to pay all residence charges relating to the contract. You must therefore budget carefully, making sure you have enough money to manage during your time in Lancaster. Please make sure you understand this completely before applying for or accepting a room.