This exciting new MA scheme offers postgraduate students a valuable qualification in Digital Language and Literacies.
The course is based in Lancaster University's renowned Literacy Research Centre, in the Department of Linguistics and English Language. Academic staff for the core modules include David Barton, Julia Gillen, Uta Papen, Diane Potts and Karin Tusting. Internationally known experts in other areas of the Department contribute teaching to these and other modules. Students on our MA courses come from a diverse range of backgrounds; all are distinguished by their enthusiasm and will to succeed.
The course features an approach to digital language and literacies through activities that make use of innovative tools and environments. Students will engage in a variety of activities, including lectures, seminars, group and individual activities, benefiting from face to face as well as online interactions with peers and staff. Skills developed will include communication, collaboration and problem solving, as well as the more established academic practices of researching new issues and critical reflection on theory and method.
- Language, Literacies and Digital Communication
- Learning and Teaching in Digitally Mediated Spaces
- Research Methods
The exact composition of the degree can be tailored to suit specific vocational, professional and academic aims. The course builds on Lancaster University's distinctive expertise in the area, offering an internationally known perspective on New Literacies. Support for your studies is provided by the non-credit Postgraduate Academic Study Skills module which runs in terms 1, 2 and 3.
Duration: 12 months full-time, 24 months part-time
Entry Requirements: A good second class honours degree, or its equivalent, in a relevant subject area
IELTS: 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in listening and speaking and at least 6.5 in reading and writing) or equivalent
Assessment: Coursework and dissertation
Funding: All applicants should consult www.lancs.ac.uk/pgfunding/
- Applied Linguistics (by thesis and coursework) : MPhil/PhD
- Digital Language and Literacies : MA
- Discourse Studies : MA
- English Language (by distance) : MA
- English Language and Literary Studies : MA
- Language Testing (by Distance) : MA
- Language and Linguistics : MA
- Linguistics : MPhil/PhD
- TESOL (Hong Kong) : MA
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages by Distance : MA