This is our most flexible taught programme. You take one core module and a dissertation relating to any area of language or linguistics that we teach. We offer pathways in Corpus Linguistics, Literacy Studies, Sociolinguistics, Stylistics, and Theoretical and Descriptive Linguistics in order to focus choices.
However, you do not have to stick to a pathway if you prefer a general approach. We also offer an extended dissertation option. Support for your studies is provided by the non-credit Postgraduate Academic Study Skills module, which runs in terms 1, 2 and 3.
- Research Methods in Linguistics and English Language
Plus five modules chosen from the optional modules each term, please our Departmental webpage for more information.
Duration: 12 months full-time, 24 months part-time
Entry Requirements: A good second class honours degree, or its equivalent, in a relevant subject area
IELTS: 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in listening and speaking and at least 6.5 in reading and writing) or equivalent
Assessment: Coursework and dissertation
Funding: All applicants should consult www.lancs.ac.uk/pgfunding/
- Applied Linguistics (by thesis and coursework) : MPhil/PhD
- Digital Language and Literacies : MA
- Discourse Studies : MA
- English Language (by distance) : MA
- English Language and Literary Studies : MA
- Language Testing (by Distance) : MA
- Language and Linguistics : MA
- Linguistics : MPhil/PhD
- TESOL (Hong Kong) : MA
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages by Distance : MA