Classic research degrees can be undertaken full-time, part-time, or by a combination of both and you can also register as studying away from Lancaster for part of your studies.
Proposals are accepted in a wide range of topics including: language and media linguistic description and theory, sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, corpus linguistics, critical discourse analysis, language learning and teaching, bilingualism, gender and language, literacy, stylistics, language testing, and pragmatics.
Students will be matched with staff interests to provide strong supervision relationships.
Entry Requirements: MA in linguistics or a related field and a viable research proposal
IELTS: 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in listening and speaking and at least 6.5 in reading and writing) or equivalent
Assessment: Original research and thesis
Funding: All applicants should consult www.lancs.ac.uk/pgfunding/
- Applied Linguistics (by thesis and coursework) : MPhil/PhD
- Digital Language and Literacies : MA
- Discourse Studies : MA
- English Language (by distance) : MA
- English Language and Literary Studies : MA
- Language Testing (by Distance) : MA
- Language and Linguistics : MA
- Linguistics : MPhil/PhD
- TESOL (Hong Kong) : MA
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) : MA
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages by Distance : MA