Taking Film and Sociology at Lancaster gives you the opportunity to learn from leading academics at the Lancaster Institute for the Contemporary Arts - ranked third for its Art and Design research by the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise - and our Sociology Department, ranked in the top five in the most 2008 UK Research Assessment Exercise.
Film combines particularly well with Sociology because it examines cinema's role as a major contemporary cultural form that influences, reflects and shapes social values and beliefs. You'll examine cinema's aesthetic importance in the context of an increasingly visual and media-oriented culture, while investigating the connections between contemporary art, theatre, music and film.
You'll be able to select from a wide range of options in both disciplines to complement your compulsory courses, beginning with the core first-year modules Introduction to Film and Introduction to Sociology. In your second year, your courses include Film Cultures; Understanding Social Thought, and Sociological Research Methods. In your second and third year, you'll also be able to choose from wide range of options courses, such as 'Sociology goes to Hollywood', or 'Imaging the Body'. You'll also complete a Film Dissertation in your final year. Lancaster's film programme is academic rather than vocational, but you will have the opportunity at each year of the course to make your own digital film using the University's state-of-the-art equipment.
- Sociology : BA Hons
- Politics and Sociology : BA Hons
- Criminology and Sociology : BA Hons
- Media and Cultural Studies : BA Hons
- Organisation Studies and Sociology : BA Hons
- Marketing and Design : BSc Hons
- Film : BA Hons
- Film and Sociology : BA Hons
- Film and English Literature : BA Hons
- Film and Philosophy : BA Hons
- French Studies and Film : BA Hons
- German Studies and Film : BA Hons
- Spanish Studies and Film : BA Hons
- Religious Studies and Sociology : BA Hons
- Fine Art : BA Hons
- Theatre : BA Hons
- Theatre and English Literature : BA Hons
- French Studies and Theatre : BA Hons
- Spanish Studies and Theatre : BA Hons