You'll study various aspects of language using a wide variety of methods - from computerised study of language corpora, through acoustic analysis of sound patterns, to analysis of texts, interviews and audio-visual recordings of natural dialogues. Many of the issues addressed by Linguistics are of central relevance to our society - for example, the relationship between dialect and social prestige, the problems of education in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment, or the development of technology which will allow computers to recognise and produce speech.
During your studies, you'll address intriguing questions, such as how language relates to thought, how a child first acquires language and how our language is similar to and different from social signalling systems used by animals. You'll also be able to take a wide range of other courses, depending on your strengths and interests.
In your first year, your studies include a single unit of Linguistics and two other subjects of your choice.
You'll take a compulsory second year course in the Structures of Language as well as optional modules including: Language Change in English and Beyond; Forensic Linguistics; Psycholinguistics; and Language Acquisition and Language Origins. You can also study up to two units in another subject. If you are taking our Study Abroad degree, you will spend your second year at a partner university in North America.
In your final year, you'll continue with subjects from your second year and complete modules including Topics in Linguistic Theory and a Dissertation.
- Linguistics and Psychology : BA Hons
- Linguistics : BA Hons
- Linguistics (Study Abroad) : BA Hons
- Linguistics with Chinese : BA Hons
- English Language and Literature : BA Hons
- English Language : BA Hons
- English Language (Study Abroad) : BA Hons
- English Language with Chinese : BA Hons
- English Language and Creative Writing : BA Hons
- English Language in the Media : BA Hons
- English Language in the Media (Study Abroad) : BA Hons
- English Literature and Linguistics : BA Hons
- English Language and Linguistics : BA Hons
- French Studies and Linguistics : BA Hons
- German Studies and Linguistics : BA Hons
- Spanish Studies and Linguistics : BA Hons
- English Language and French Studies : BA Hons
- English Language and German Studies : BA Hons
- English Language and Spanish Studies : BA Hons
- Linguistics and Philosophy : BA Hons
- Modern Languages : BA Hons