The Importance of Fairtrade
Fairtrade aims to ensure that some of the most disadvantaged people in the developing world are getting a better deal from trade, through fair prices, sustainable farming practices and community investment.
As a Fairtrade accredited University since 2008, Lancaster University is committed to improving the availability and range of Fairtrade products available across campus. The commitment is demonstrated through the Fairtrade Policy and the range of Fairtrade products available on campus, as well as the Fairtrade activities organised throughout the year.
Where can you find Fairtrade on campus?
- Fairtrade hot drinks and snacks are available in all LU Catering outlets (Café 2010, Private Dining Rooms, The Venue, Fylde Bar and Infolab Café).
- LU Catering will provide Fairtrade hot drinks and snacks for any internal meeting.
- LUSU Shop stocks a wide range of Fairtrade chocolate and confectionary, as well as Fairtrade hot drinks.
- LUSU Central Stores stocks a wide range of Fairtrade chocolate, confectionary, tea, coffee, sugar and other groceries as well as bananas and hot drinks.
Lancaster University's Policy has been recently updated. Read the revised policy.
- Over 290,000 servings of Fairtrade hot drinks were served at Lancaster University Catering outlets in 2011.
- 145,000 servings of Fairtrade hot drinks were served at Lancaster University internal meetings in 2011.
- Over 125 Fairtrade products are now available in outlets across campus, a 25% increase since 2011.