Lancaster University Catering has been working very hard over the last two years towards improving the sustainability, quality and healthiness of food provided on campus, whether this be in catered accommodation, hospitality or cafe, bar and restaurant outlets.
Major improvements have been made over this period, including:
- Maximising use of food sourced from local suppliers
- Ensuring use of seasonally available vegetables in menus
- Switch to using 100% Free range eggs
- Trial of organic milk and Red Tractor certified meat
- Elimination of Fish on Marine Conservation Society (MCS) 'Red List' and maximise use of fish on MCS 'Fish to Eat' list
- Trial of 'Meat Free days'
Lancaster University's Sustainable Food Policy has been recently updated. View the revised policy.
- LU Catering are targeting achieving the Soil Association ‘Food for Life’ Catering Mark in 2012-13.
- The new Executive Chef is reviewing all menus in order to improve local sourcing and reduce environmental impacts, as well as improving quality.
- The sustainability of key suppliers is being reviewed.
For further information on Sustainable Food take a look at where to eat on campus.