Mr Mark Swindlehurst, BEng, MBA
Director of Facilities
The function of Estate Management is to contribute to the aims and objectives of the university by providing and caring for the physical environment in which we live, learn and work. We aim to do this by :
- Providing professional advice on the management, development, operation and maintenance of the University estate
- Assisting the University to meet its strategic priorities
- Being responsive to the operational needs of the University and the changing requirements of the University community
- Monitoring and reacting to the potential impact of estate developments and facilities provision on the local community and environment
- Seeking effectiveness, efficiency and value for money in respect of all activities undertaken and services provided
- Seeking to maximise client satisfaction in respect of facilities and services provided, within available resources, and to comply with statutory requirements and codes of practice
Over the last 4 years Lancaster University has invested in excess of £250 million into its estate. New Building, refurbishment and maintenance expenditure have all been at levels unprecedented since the creation of the University at Bailrigg in 1964. The current Estates programme of work has a time horizon of at least 10 years over which much of the older estate will be rebuilt, remodelled or refurbished. New build projects for 2007/08 include a further 800 student rooms, a new highly serviced IT building, a new Sports Centre and an office/administration building.
Mark Swindlehurst joined Lancaster University in October 2003 to lead Estate Management through the challenging programme of redevelopment. Prior to joining the University, Mark worked for the BBC in its corporate property department developing new broadcasting buildings throughout the UK. An engineer by training and background, Mark completed his MBA in 2001.
Tel: +44 (0)1524 592095
Fax: +44 (0)1524 592100
Personal Assistant: Lesley Loy